1) When I received a letter from an anthology advising me that they were publishing my short story.
2) When I wrote the last sentence of my first novel, Mama, and knew it was the last sentence. My chest sunk and I believe I lost quite a few ounces of tears.
3) When Waiting To Exhale debuted on the New York Times Bestseller’s list. I didn’t believe it. Not even after I saw it.
4) When I have written the first sentence of each novel, and I never change them. It’s how I open the door to the story.
5) When I realize what my next novel is going to be. And then am plagued by how in the world I’m going to tell it.